Registrations are open for Academic Year 2024-2025
Welcome to American International School which is an inclusive school. We recognize and value every student and celebrate their individual needs.
As a school, we honor the uniqueness of each individual and embrace diverse backgrounds, values, and points of view to build a strong, inclusive community and prepare students for lives in a multicultural society. We strongly believe that developing an inclusive environment is the responsibility of every member of staff. Our commitment is to provide every student an equal opportunity to participate and thrive in educational and co-curricular programs.
We welcome Students of Determination, students who are gifted and talented, high achievers, and students who study English as an Additional Language (EAL).
As a school:
1. We implement programs and practices that provide equal access and enable all students to thrive academically, physically, socially, culturally, and emotionally.
2. We examine and revise our curriculum and teaching practices as necessary to ensure that we are effective in reaching every student.
3. We train our teachers to recognize and understand the range of needs and learning styles among our students so as to build and sustain an inclusive classroom.
4. We affirm the uniqueness of each individual and value individual ways of existing in the world. We are committed to understanding how personal, cultural, and historic aspects of identity contribute to and enrich our school community.
5. Our teachers assess progress regularly and work along with the inclusion team to ensure that each and every child achieves at their best level.
6. Our qualified Inclusion Lead works with the teachers to implement specialized support programs where needed.
What our Inclusion Lead does:
1. Our Inclusion Lead is responsible for the following:
2. Working with all staff to identify students who need additional support
3. Supporting intervention where required and guiding teachers on using resources effectively to enable students to make good progress and achieve well
4. Tracking and monitoring assessment records of the progress of children of determination and the gifted and talented
5. Working with outside agencies who provide specialist support and teaching for students of determination
6. Communicating and supporting parents
Who is a Student of Determination?
A student of determination is a student with a long-term physical, mental, intellectual, or sensory impairment which, in interaction with various barriers, restricts the student’s full and effective participation in education on an equal basis with peers of the same age.
Students of determination are identified through one or both of the procedures listed below:
Through the work of a specialist and/or knowledgeable school team, displaying almost all of the characteristics of a particular category of impairment, delay, or disorder
Formally diagnosed by a qualified and licensed medical professional as having a long-term difficulty, impairment, or disorder
Guidelines for Parents:
1. Be aware of your child’s progress and be involved in their learning.
2. If you have concerns about your child’s progress, do meet up with the teacher in the first instance and follow up with the Inclusion Lead; we welcome a culture of dialogue and open communication.
3. If your child requires an individual learning plan, you will be required to provide the school with copies of all educational assessments or reports.
4. Where psychological testing is required for children, assessment is carried out externally by specialists at the discretion of parents. You will however be required to provide us with copies of all medical, psychological or educational assessments or reports. This will enable us to provide the best services for your child.